What are your thoughts on distributing an allowance?

Discussion in 'Family Chat' started by Libman, May 21, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Libman

Libman Administrator

Q4. What are your thoughts on distributing an allowance?

Share your opinion in the comments below for your chance to win our Freedom Spray Mop Prize Pack, including the Freedom® Spray Mop, Freedom Hardwood Cleaner and Freedom Multi-Surface Cleaner.

Avis Tucker and AngelaNicole like this.
  2. cmlgill

cmlgill Member

I prefer to make them earn it but as long as they are doing their part in our family, I'm not against helping them out every now and then.

Brooke likes this.
  3. itsbecslife

itsbecslife Well-Known Member

A4: I think allowance is good for the older children. It teaches them responsibility - they can use their money to buy what they want. For the younger children I think a star reward system is better. #CleaningAsAFamily

robin mcdowell likes this.
  4. I grew up with my parents doing that and I do it with my kids. I think it's ok

Libman likes this.
  5. Angela Hendricks

Angela Hendricks Well-Known Member

I give my son a dollar per year of age a week with a cut off max of 10 a week. What in the heck was I thinking when I started that?! LOL #CleaningAsAFamily

Libman likes this.
  6. AngelaNicole

AngelaNicole Member

Q4 i am so for it. my father allowed us to have the same privilege and i would LOVE to share the same memories with my son.

7. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

A4- Allowance again is a good motivator, and they do need a bit of spending monies. Not so much that they be asking to clean the windows, but enough to say job well done and keep up the good work.

8. we never had an allowance (and always wanted one!) so I am going to make sure my kids have one! They must earn it tho!

9. Regal Pepper

Regal Pepper Member

I don't really like the idea of tying money to chores they should be doing anyway. Chores to me are partly about responsibility and partly about learning household tasks. They should not be focused on money.

10. Ashley

Ashley Member

I think it's a great idea - a great way to teach your kids how to earn their money!

11. Tiffany Dover

Tiffany Dover Member

Age and maturity level play a huge factor. We to an allowance but they have to earn it. They earn a little each week completing chores and get to spend it on toys, etc!

Libman and robin mcdowell like this.
  12. Libman

Libman Administrator

Haha! At least you put a cap on it.

Brooke and Angela Hendricks like this.
  13. Scrappiedoodle

Scrappiedoodle Active Member

A4: We give my son a few dollars a week, he's a really good helper, never complains. Half of that goes into his savings (to teach him the value of a dollar) and the other half he gets to spend #CleaningAsAFamily

14. Angela Hendricks

Angela Hendricks Well-Known Member

YES! That was smart thinking on my hubby's part! The look he gave me when I told him what I started! He made sure to quickly put that cap in place!

Brooke likes this.
  15. Libman

Libman Administrator

Congratulations, cmlgill! You were randomly selected as the winner of our Q4 prize pack. We will send you an email shortly to get your mailing address.

Q5 has been posted!

16. Scrappiedoodle

Scrappiedoodle Active Member

LOL!! #CleaningAsAFamily

17. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

We tell our kids some jobs are part of being a member of the house, but extra stuff helps them earn a commission. Usually in the form of prizes or treats, but sometimes it is money towards their latest must have. :)

cmlgill and Libman like this.
  18. a4 we are not giving allowance for chores. I think it's a part of a responsibility that they need to learn

cmlgill likes this.
  19. cmlgill

cmlgill Member

Thanks! I look forward to it!

20. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

Allowance should be incorporated in cleaning tasks. It gives a GREAT incentive. I know it worked for me!! *wink* #CleaningAsAFamily