The Peanut Allergy Outsider

Discussion in 'Family Chat' started by MeganLorraine, Apr 21, 2015.

Share This Page

1. MeganLorraine

MeganLorraine Working Mom

So, I'm lucky enough that my son does not have peanut allergies. But, I do have some mommy friends who have kids with severe allergies so I'm respectful of the struggles they have to go through to make safe environments for their kids. So why am I mentioning this? My son LOVES peanut butter. He wants a peanut butter & jelly sandwich everyday before afternoon daycare. My concern is how this effects the other kids there.

What can I do, as the peanut allergy outsider, to make sure my son doesn't cause any issues for your kids? Wash hands and mouth thoroughly? Not give him peanut butter so close to daycare time? I'd love to know because at the end of the day, all we want is our kids happy and healthy together.

Thank you!

Mr. Big likes this.
  2. Busy Bee Kate

Busy Bee Kate Libman Family Blogger

I am a peanut allergy Mom. We were "thrown" into this allergy world when my daughter was born and it was all new to us and I appreciate your concern. I wish other parents would take this as seriously as you are.

You definitely want to wash his hands and mouth after eating peanut butter. The proteins (from what I've read) remain on you for several hours. You still want to assure that he does not kiss anyone - I realize he is only 3.5 years old but you never know - shares straws or utensils. You also want to assure that he does not get any peanut butter on his clothes.

Here is the study I've read: "Time course of peanut protein (Ara h 1) in saliva after a meal of peanut butter:
    - 87% had undetectable levels after 1 hour
    - 100% had undetectable levels several hours later following a subsequent peanut-free lunch
    Immediate brushing, prolonged rinsing, chewing gum did not produce a statisally significant difference.
    Best option: wait several hours"

I am about to send my 2 year old to a preschool a few hours a week and I'm so stressed over her food allergies. Many daycares are nut free but you just don't know what the kids have been eating on the car ride over to the daycare / school.

I really appreciate you for thinking of this. I "run" into peanuts almost everyday at the playground. Just yesterday a child was eating a PB&J while swinging. Last week a Father was eating a Drumstick IN the sand pit with the other kids. My eyes and ears are always open. Just a small piece of a peanut can be life threatening to my daughter. It's scary.

gcook likes this.
  3. MeganLorraine

MeganLorraine Working Mom

Thank you for your reply! I had no idea it would last several hours afterward! I'm definitely going to be more cautious knowing that... I hadn't even thought about clothing but I will keep an eye on his clothes from now on, you never know when those little hands get wiped on a shirt!

With your new daycare, maybe ask them to send home a flyer you could make or something with all the kids during her first week. More than anything else, I think we "non-allergy" parents just don't know all the information to properly protect the other kids. We don't wish harm on the kids, we just have no idea that other precautions are needed besides just not bringing peanut butter to school.

Good luck!

4. Busy Bee Kate

Busy Bee Kate Libman Family Blogger

Thanks Megan ! I had no idea about these things either until my little girl was born with allergies, and I am still learning! Thank you for taking the time to learn, it means so much to "us allergy Moms" :)