Q2. How do you motivate your family to complete household responsibilities?

Discussion in 'Libman Chat' started by Libman, Jun 10, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Libman

Libman Administrator

Motivating children to complete chores can be difficult. What techniques have you used to encourage participating in household responsibilities?

Amanda likes this.
  2. itsbecslife

itsbecslife Well-Known Member

We have a chart where use start stickers, when the kids get enough stars they are able to redeem them for prizes!

Amanda likes this.
  3. Angela Hendricks

Angela Hendricks Well-Known Member

We give rewards to my son for completing chores, going to fun places, experiences, things like that. Works great.

Amanda likes this.
  4. Erin Dear

Erin Dear Active Member

A2 Rewards!!! #CleaningAsAFamily

Amanda and Avis Tucker like this.
  5. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

A2-I have found that reward systems seems to get their attention, Ice cream after we finish cleaning up or this weekend we can do this...

Amanda likes this.
  6. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

A2) Monetary earnings; take to movies/skating/video game. Anything where they can EARN and buy something for themselves. It makes them work harder AND feel accomplished. Plus, we parents get what we wanted done. ;)

Paige Henke likes this.
  7. Paige Henke

Paige Henke Member

My older kids are all about earning money, so anytime we have a chore that needs to be done, we assign a monetary amount to it and it motivates the kids to get the work done. They still have normal chores that they don't get paid for but they do get paid for all the extra stuff that comes up.

8. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

FORGOT MY #HASHTAG-----> #CleaningAsAFamily

9. Meena R

Meena R Member

I hate to say I bribe them, but I like to think of it as a motivator. For chores well done in a week, they get special rewards like an extra helping of dessert or going to a fun place they want to go. It actually works really well! #CleaningAsAFamily

10. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

We use a reward system on most things except their room. Told them that is just part of being in a household...picking up after themselves.

itsbecslife and rose lew like this.
  11. Oanh

Oanh Member

I told my nephews that if they help clean up then I'll take them to the park or trip to frozen yogurt shop

Libman likes this.
  12. Marine Mama B

Marine Mama B Member

Allowances and special kids nights worked for us

Avis Tucker and Amanda like this.
  13. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

Icecream is a great idea for summer! I am adding that to the list of rewards. =)

14. AngelaNicole

AngelaNicole Member

i like to reward them with something THEY are wanting to do. Could be going to the movies (earn movie passes) or an extra hour up or a chance to watch their favorite station on tv for longer etc.....

15. itsbecslife

itsbecslife Well-Known Member

Re
    Reward systems are great, they are fun and teach responsibility too!

16. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

We like ice cream as much as they do....so we are rewarding ourselves too lol

Libman likes this.
  17. Libman

Libman Administrator

What types of rewards work best for your kids?

18. Oanh

Oanh Member

:p we deserve a treat once in awhile too

19. Libman

Libman Administrator

How does your family distribute allowance?

20. ChristinaC08

ChristinaC08 Member

The only time we have used any kind of motivation is when our son wants to take another toy out to play with and there are already tons out. We let him know he needs to clean up and put stuff away properly before he can get anything else out. Typically he responds well to that because we point out that there is no where for him to play with the new toy.