Q1. What chores do you think are appropriate for each age group?

Discussion in 'Libman Chat' started by Libman, Jun 10, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Libman

Libman Administrator

Most parents, at some point or another, debate at what age their children should start chipping in around the house and what responsibilities could be expected of them. So, what chores do you think are appropriate for different age groups?

Avis Tucker likes this.
  2. AngelaNicole

AngelaNicole Member

i think at least picking up their own toys are appropriate starting from age 2.

Avis Tucker and Amanda like this.
  3. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

Honestly need to have my kiddos to do a bit more, but my 7 year old helps with the floors, his bedroom, and picking up. Our 12 year old does a lot more like unloading the dishwasher, taking care of our 2 cats, vacuuming, and helps with dusting occasion.

Avis Tucker likes this.
  4. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

Start off by asking them to pick up their toys and article of clothing..simple but give some responsibilites

Avis Tucker and Amanda like this.
  5. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

Good evening. A1) The earlier the better, I say!: toddler ages/toys 5 yrs.+ toys and make bed, as they get older--- chores progress to bathroom duty, take out garbage, do dishes, etc. It should never be divided by gender, as boys and girls should learn how to do many tasks... =)

Amanda likes this.
  6. itsbecslife

itsbecslife Well-Known Member

I think it's good to teach them responsibility at a young age. I think around the age of 10 is good to start. Something simple and easy like picking up after themselves and taking out the garbage is good for the young ones.

Amanda likes this.
  7. Angela Hendricks

Angela Hendricks Well-Known Member

Q1 I think when your kids hit 3 they are ready to help! Things like bring dirty laundry to the laundry room, sweeping maybe?

Amanda, Oanh and Avis Tucker like this.
  8. Paige Henke

Paige Henke Member

My 4 year old helps with dishes, clearing the table, cleaning her room. The 9 year old does all of the above, takes the trash out and feeds the fish.The 11 year old is awesome, helps clean the house, takes care of her siblings, moves laundry, helps organize. There are always age appropriate chores.

Libman, Amanda and Avis Tucker like this.
  9. Avis Tucker

I started my son around the age of 3 with his toys. By 5, I had him making his bed (basically pulling his comforter up. LOL! But, her did it!

Libman and Amanda like this.
  10. Meena R

Meena R Member

I think chores should be started from a young age-around 3 is when I say children really understand what they are supposed to do. Little things like helping pick up toys, helping while I clean etc. As they get older add on things like helping to cook, doing the dishes, setting and clearing the table. They should be doing mostly all chores once they get into the teenage years.

Amanda and Avis Tucker like this.
  11. Oanh

Oanh Member

Q1: I think for 11yrs and up can handle cleaning the table and putting away their toys

12. Avis Tucker

Every little bit helps right??!!

13. itsbecslife

Great ideas in this thread today!

Amanda and Avis Tucker like this.
  14. Amanda

If only I could get him to keep up with his own messes, I would feel great! We have been working on making his bed. That's great that your little one learned to help so young! =)

Libman likes this.
  15. ChristinaC08

ChristinaC08 Member

Q1 - My son has loved to help sort laundry and match up socks since he was about 3. He has also loved to use a paper towel and water and wiped down the counter and the front of the dishwasher and other surfaces within his reach. That is a "chore" that he has loved doing since he was about 2. I think at 4 they can rinse dishes (and they love playing in the water while doing it!), and they can also put the silverware away (minus the knives of course). Overall I think little ones really love to help and want to be part of everyday activities.

16. itsbecslife

Love how the whole family helps!

Amanda likes this.
  17. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

A1-Most kids love to follow along with what everyone else is doing, so make it a group thing.

Amanda likes this.
  18. Erin Dear

Erin Dear Active Member

A1 My 3-5 year olds clean up thier toys, my teen does luandry #CleaningAsAFamily

Amanda likes this.
  19. Amanda

Matching up socks is a great idea!!! That's one of my least favorite and time consuming parts of laundry with a family of 5. We are going to start my 7 year old on that one this week! =)

20. Pamela Mosher

Pamela Mosher Member

sorry to interrupt, but is this part of this evenings event?