How do you get everyone in the family involved in doing chores?

Discussion in 'Family Chat' started by Mr. Big, Apr 14, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mr. Big

Mr. Big Seasoned Charmer

Hi there, I want to know what tools, tips, or tricks do you all find to be most useful when trying to get everyone in the family to chip in?

karen ortiz likes this.
  2. Lars

Lars New Member

Mr. Big, what I have found to be extremely useful is a chore chart. If you rotate the chores across everyone in the family, everyone feels like they chipping in for the greater good. No one feels like they are getting the short end of the stick. Under freebies on the website, you can find a chore chart that Libman has created. I have personally found it to be super helpful!

familyfocusblog likes this.
  3. Jen M

Jen M Libman Family Blogger

We've tried a chore chart, but my kids are still a little too small to really get it. To help get the habits started, my kids have had jobs/chores since they were very small! The consistent message of chipping in can start super young. Matching socks, dusting (especially with fun cleaning "fairy wands"), or putting away silverware is even something a 2 year old can do. Got to get them involved!

Mr. Big likes this.
  4. Kristi

Kristi Libman Family Blogger

I have tried chore chart after chore chart over the years with my boys and they haven't worked. We have posted them in a central location, given the kids a checklist to follow daily...you name it. None of it has worked. Right now we are using a laminated page I created that has their routine & chores on it (they don't always follow it), but they know what is expected of them daily. If they show up after school with friends, they know their chores/expectations have to be met before they leave the house to head out to the park or hang out with their friends at the house. There have been times that their friends will catch up with them at the park later (after they complete their jobs) or they will stay at the house and wait for them to complete their jobs. What's expected of my boys is not much and seriously only takes about 10 minutes to complete so it's not the end of the world for them to get what needs to be done taken care of around here.

Mr. Big likes this.
  5. Mr. Big

Mr. Big Seasoned Charmer

Thanks for the advice / feedback? What do you do when they don't oblige. Don't worry, I don't judge :)

karen ortiz likes this.
  6. Kristi

Kristi Libman Family Blogger

We usually take electronics away (which will soon change to taking the cords for their devices away (PS3, Xbox, tablets, phones, iPods)). They are going to be devastated! :) Oh well! While taking electronics away works to a certain extent, we have found the having their friends leave until they are complete their duties at home (which they can drag out for HOURS) to be the best option as of now. When we tried completely grounding the boys for a week or two, it always made us feel like we were grounded so that quickly got thrown out the door!

My husband was in the Army and we have been married for 16 years, that way of life has kind of stuck for us. It's called "do what's expected of you and life is great." Our oldest (14) is just now wrapping his head around this idea and it's been better for him. The youngest (11)...still has a couple years until it clicks for him too. I just keep telling myself...there is light at the end of the tunnel! :)

7. familyfocusblog

familyfocusblog Libman Family Blogger

When it is time to clean, we divide and conquer. We each do our own room now that my kids are 8 and 10. I still have to come behind them and check and point out things that need doing but we are getting there! Then when I do the living room, they have toy duty- returning toys to the toy room and sometimes they help with vacuuming as well.

Kristi and Mr. Big like this.
  8. Katelyn Fagan

Katelyn Fagan Libman Family Blogger

Turn on some music!! Make cleaning fun. And really have EVERYONE in the family get involved! We've always involved our children from very young ages to help clean up around the house. But when everyone has a job or a task, you have some music going, and you make maybe some contests out of it (who can pick up the most toys? Who can get their job all done first?) then it will be easier to get the family involved. My husband and I clean right beside them, so they know it is a family thing.

karen ortiz and gcook like this.