Chores for Toddlers

Discussion in 'Cleaning Chat' started by JuliaG, May 20, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JuliaG

JuliaG Libman Family Blogger

My little guy is only 17 months old, but I really wanted to get him started helping out around the house at an early age. I've been pleasantly surprised to find there's actually a lot he can do, though it usually involves me helping him a bit.

Some of the chores we've tried:

Cleaning up toys: Admittedly, a lot of his toys stay out in his play yard 24/7, but he does have a few things that need to be put away because they are choking hazards and he needs to be supervised with them. He does a great job of helping me pick up all of the pieces and put them back in the bag or container.

Laundry: We cloth diaper which means there's pretty much always laundry going. Since about 12 months he's been helping me transfer his diapers from the washing machine to the dryer. I'm sure this mostly seems like a game to him!

Washing walls: A little bit of water and a sponge and my walls are cleaner than they were before! I got this idea from his music school, where they are big on Montessori and had a window washing activity set up. Our windows aren't low enough, but maybe in a few months we can try it at home.

Any there any other chores your toddler has helped out with at home?