At what age did you get your children involved in chores?

Discussion in 'Family Chat' started by Libman, May 21, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Libman

Libman Administrator

Welcome to The Libman Company’s first ever forum party! We are happy you all could make it.

CleaningAsAFamily.com was designed to bring together bloggers, parents and other consumer to discuss, debate, problem-solve and share surrounding topics important to families.

Without further adieu, here is tonight’s first question:

Q1. At what age did you get your children involved in chores? How do you determine age appropriate chores?

Share your answer in the comments below for your chance to win our Power Scrub Kitchen Prize Pack, including the Power Scrub Dots Kitchen Cloth, Vegetable Brush and Glass/Dish Sponge.

2. Ashley

Ashley Member

My son is only 2 - so we haven't started yet, but we are teaching him the importance of cleaning up after himself if he spills or messes up! We want him to be aware of how important it is to be clean!

3. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

A1. My son was about 3... I taught him to put away the toys and to make his bed...#CleaningAsAFamily

4. Tiffany Dover

Tiffany Dover Member

We have a 3 year old and almost 2 year old boys. Our 3 year old started doing chores when he was 2! Not difficult chores. He cleans up his toys every night and he loves to help me make the bed and put the laundry in the dryer!

5. AngelaNicole

AngelaNicole Member

I started my son around the age of 10 with just a simple "put away your toys. as he gets older i still leave the lightweight chores like vacuum and washing dishes.

6. Regal Pepper

Regal Pepper Member

Started "helping" at age 3! :)

7. Angela Hendricks

Angela Hendricks Well-Known Member

We got my son started at chores when he turned 3 yrs old. He carries laundry for me, a few shirts and what not, helps sweep :)
    #CleaningAsAFamily

8. itsbecslife

itsbecslife Well-Known Member

They first got chores when they were 4. It involved cleaning up their toys and helping the family wash vegetables. #CleaningAsAFamily

9. rose lew

rose lew Active Member

It wasn't until they were 8-9 years old. #CleaningAsAFamily

10. We had chores for as long as I can remember! When I have kids, I will probably do the same, it's a great way to teach responsibility! #CleaningAsAFamily

11. it was about age 3 I started having them help pick up toys #CleaningAsaFamily

12. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

My son is 13 months and already likes to help clean the floors with a broom. It's hilarious actually since it's bigger than he his, but I give him tons of encouragement! My older kids are harder to get involved with the chores, but they all started by 2 or 3 with small things like dusting.

JuliaG and AngelaNicole like this.
  13. Scrappiedoodle

Scrappiedoodle Active Member

A1: My son, now 7, was 2 at the time. He was always a good helper, plus a little extra change was a good helper LOL

14. Libman

Libman Administrator

Congratulations, Avis Tucker! You were randomly selected as the winner of our Q1 prize pack. We will send you an email shortly to get your mailing address.

Q2 has been posted!

Brooke, Amanda and Avis Tucker like this.
  15. Avis Tucker

Avis Tucker Well-Known Member

Thank you for my prize!! This is exciting! =)

Libman likes this.
  16. Brooke

Brooke Member

When I was younger I loved helping my mom clean the mirrors in the bathroom. We put music on and danced about! When I have kids, I hope cleaning is something we can do together vs a chore.

Libman likes this.
  17. Amanda

Amanda Libman Family Blogger

Congrats, Avis Tucker! =)

18. cmlgill

cmlgill Member

As soon as they could move around! Kids love helping and doing what their parents are! My toddlers love washes the kitchen cupboards. When they are done, I mop the floors with all the spilled water. It works gerat!

19. Scrappiedoodle

Scrappiedoodle Active Member

Congrats!! :)

20. congrats!!